Thursday 6 March 2014

The Countdown Commences

With Naughty-Cal due to be dropped back in the water tomorrow we had one last flurry of activity last night to get the last few things at home cleaned up and ready to take back to the boat on this evening. 

There wasn't much just ropes to wash, fenders to clean and put back on their clean ropes and the cockpit rug to scrub up. The ensign was washed and is now ready to fly, after we had to go back home as we forgot to pack it! We cant have Naughty-Cal looking clean and shiny but not flying the ensign in the sunshine now, that would never do. Luckily we didn't get too far before we remembered we had forgotten it.

I have my work cut out for me tomorrow. Whilst Liam is heading back to the work I have the unenviable task of scrubbing the boat and making her fit for use over the weekend. The cockpit has taken the brunt of the dirt as that is where we were effectively living for our stint out of the water. The once white vinyl seating is now a mixture of brown and blue! Magic sponge to the rescue I think, I hope anyway.

The cabin is in a bit of disarray but whilst I can clean it I can’t really make it look right again until the new carpets are ready to glue in. Bare floor isn’t a great look, but we can’t hurry perfection I suppose.


This weekend we plan to go out and enjoy the boat. No work is going to be done on her at all. After the last eight weeks of hard graft I think we deserve a break. But it will be a brief one as we then have the countdown the Easter and before then we need to fully service the engine, scrub the canopies and apply a good coat of Fabsil, fit the new cabin carpets, bail out and clean the dinghy and sort out the bikes. It’s all go at the minute but it will be worth it.

2 comments:

  1. " ... bail out and clean the dinghy and sort out the bikes."
    That reminds me ...
    I wasn't sure whether you carried a dinghy on davits, but if you do, wouldn't that be a better place to carry the bikes?
    I just have the opinion that almost anywhere is better than 'on the roof'.

    Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dinghy is usually carried on snap davits but for pootling around on the river we more often than not just tow it.

    The bikes will be too long to fit across the back of the boat. They will obstruct access through the transom door so they unfortunately have to go in the cabin roof.

    We might look into modifying a bike rack at some point to hook onto the davits but not just yet!

    ReplyDelete