Wednesday 26 February 2014

Slow Cooked Beef Shin

We had beef shin again last night. I know I have written about it before so I wont repeat the whole topic again but I will just say it is one of the cheapest and tastiest cuts of beef that there are for slow cooking.

To make this slow cooked shin, I put the diced shin, chopped onion, mushrooms and carrots along with some beef stock into a large oven proof dish with a lid and put it in the oven for three hours at 140 degrees. I cooked this the night before, left it in the fridge overnight and then reheated in the microwave for ten minutes stirring every few minutes to ensure it reheated evenly. Season well with Hendersons Relish and plenty of cracked black pepper.

Last night I served this with Yorkshire puddings and a simple root vegetable mash. You can use pretty much any root veg for this, I used sweet potato, carrot, parsnip, swede and a maris piper potato. Again season well with cracked black pepper and to make it extra creamy add a spoonful of butter and mix through well. I leave the skin on the vegetables to give it some texture but also to keep a lot of the flavour as well.

You can add some real ale to the stock to give this dish a deeper flavour which works really well with slow cooking but I didnt bother this time. It was super tasty all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment